Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cholecystectomies By The Fireplace, Herniorrhaphies In The Dining Room

Dr. Roberto Bonilla of Inglewood, CA was charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a patient when he attempted to perform a cholecystectomy in a medical office converted from a residential home. The doctor, with a degree from Autonomous University of Guadalajara Faculty of Medicine, took $3000 from the patient to perform the surgery.

When paramedics arrived after the patient died and the family called 911, they found the patient had a 4 inch incision in his abdomen and bleeding from the nose. The doctor's attorney claimed the patient died from an allergic reaction to the anesthesia. The DA's office says three expert opinions determined the patient died from an overdose of local anesthetic, thus the inability to resuscitate the man after he went into cardiac arrest.

Again, why do people think it's easy to perform anesthesia? Just because anesthesiologists make it look effortless doesn't mean anybody, even with an MD degree, can do it. Judging from the article, this "surgeon" attempted to perform an open cholecystectomy under local/MAC. Unless he was extremely skilled at placing a regional block for a cholecystectomy, it's unlikely he could have successfully completed the operation, even if he did have all the proper monitoring and resuscitation equipment in that operating room/house. If surgeons want to perform anesthesia, they should go through an anesthesiology residency training and learn the proper way to administer it, not tell an assistant to push more propofol or give him more local. When will they ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment